19 May This is what your images should look like if you want to sell clothes on Amazon
- A good photograph will help you generate sales, but you can’t post just anybody. Here are the requirements of the marketplace
- A tip: in addition to the main one, include alternative images that help the customer get a better idea of the product
Selling a product on Amazon is simple, but you must follow a number of minimum requirements in order to list your listing. In this post we are going to pay special attention to the images section depending on the line of business.
Good images generate more sales on Amazon. We are talking about a very visual marketplace, so everything is going to enter through the eyes of potential customers. And the first thing, of course, is the photo of the product we want to sell. To upload it, Amazon has a series of conditions that everyone must meet. Don’t know what they are? We’ll tell you all about it in this post.
What Are The Requirements For Clothing Images On Amazon?
As we have mentioned, having a good image is essential to sell your product, but if there is a section in which it has special significance, it is clothing. Our style of dress determines who we are and what our spirit is, so we always look for the ideal garment for us, the one that fits best. In this search, the photo takes on an extraordinary role.
Our potential buyers want to see the product from as many angles as possible. Therefore, the main image alone will not be enough, but we will have to attach alternative photographs that will appear on the detail page (Amazon recommends between five and seven in its style guide). In addition, if the product has different variants, we can also attach a thumbnail photo of each of them (suitable for highlighting the different colors or sizes of a garment, for example).
In addition to the requirements common to all products (such as using a white background or occupying 85% of the area), Amazon has set the following conditions for the main images of clothing:
- Take a photo of the clothes worn on a model, except in the case of children’s clothing, accessories, or see-through clothing. Customers like to look at clothes on a person to see how they fit.
- It shows a front view of the product, preferably without any accessories that distract attention or hide what we want to sell.
- It shows the entire product, without any parts cut out.
- All child ASINs must have a primary image.
- If the product is transparent and photographed on a model (it is not allowed to use a mannequin), the genital parts, breasts and buttocks must be covered.
- Models must wear shoes (with the exception of swimwear and sleepwear).
While the main images must be made on a white background, the alternatives allow other types of backgrounds to be included and the model in other poses, although these must always be natural and never lying down, kneeling or suggestive.
Underwear and swimsuits: their nuances
Within the wide range of possibilities that exist in a wardrobe, underwear and swimsuits are two types of clothing that can generate controversy if they are not used well. For this reason, Amazon clarifies that the images of this group must not be explicitly sexual or obscene and must comply with these rules:
- It is mandatory to set the ‘is_adult’ indicator during the creation of the listing for exotic/erotic clothing (sexy lingerie).
- Nude images (breasts, genitals, buttocks, etc.) are not allowed.
- Nipple covers or breast petals must be photographed outside the model’s body.
- Images of real models with transparencies may be allowed as long as no genitals, breasts, or nipples are shown and are not presented in an impudent or provocative manner. The use of slashes, smudges, or other graphic resources to cover bare parts of the body is not permitted.
- In the main image, thongs and panties should be displayed frontally. Rear views can be added as alternate images. On the other hand, if they do not completely cover the front and back, they should have images that do not use human models.
These are the main requirements that Amazon requires when publishing images of clothing products, but the platform continues to work uninterruptedly to improve the user experience, so we recommend staying tuned for updates that may be made in this section. And, if not, we will keep you informed on the Nozama Solutions blog.